Friday, December 17, 2010

Fire Engines and Santa

Every Holiday season the local fire departments (I believe it to be a joint municipality-thing between Falls and Bristol Townships, but I could very well be wrong) drive throughout every neighborhood in Levittown and the adjoining townships they serve with a special treat for the kids. They drive down every street with their lights flashing, horns blowing, and, best of all, towing a huge, red sleigh (trailer) adorned with Christmas lights, elves, and, best of all, Santa Claus himself! Candy is thrown from the sleigh to the children who, either led by or followed by their parent(s)/guardian(s) (have to be p.c. nowadays!), flock to the streets or gaze out their windows to see this spectacular display of the Christmas season. They give little warning as to which day they will parade through each neighborhood, but signal their coming with blaring horns and beaconing lights...it really is a fantastic scene and it seems that the neighborhood children really enjoy the spectacle.

Last nightDaddy was cooking dinner and Matthew was having his dinner with Mommy when the horns bellowed. Christopher, who had just been awakened from a nap, heard the sirens and Daddy intensely asking, "Christopher! You want to see Santa Claus?", ran from his room barely clothed. We threw on jeans and a coat and ran outside...he was amazed. I didn't have much warning, so I couldn't get a good picture of Christopher, but it was fun to see him so excited. I tried to get some pictures, but my camera doesn't take very good pictures in the dark and I had little warning to grab the video camera (which would have been preferable)...I just reached to our little "electronic nook" and grabbed the first camera-esque thing I could get my hands on.

...then...

After seeing Santa and dinner, we started decorating the Christmas tree. Christopher had a little trouble getting the concept of hanging the hooks on the branches, but he did his best. The result was two piles of ornaments in two different, but close, locations on the tree...stacked deep within and resting on the branches. We did this for about 1/2 hour, then had some cookies and hot coco before bed time. It was fun...it wasn't as much fun for Daddy after bedtime when Daddy had to fish out the ornaments are re-hang them, but it was well worth it to see the boy so elated.

No comments:

Post a Comment