Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween 2011


We have the great fortune to have two very funny children.  Although some might think that this could very well be a future bane (and I might be inclined to agree), but, at least for now, I find it be amazing and almost refreshing.  We spent a few weeks before Halloween having multiple "discussions" with Christopher (and for those who know him, I use the term "discussions" loosely) about what he wanted for his costume.  The conversation went something like this:

 
Colleen: "Christopher, what do you want to be for Halloween this year, buddy?"

Thomas: "Do you want to be a pirate like Jake [and the Neverland Pirates (Disney show)]? Or maybe a robot? Maybe a car? That would be cool, right?"

Christopher: "Um....maybe...um....Mommy, maybe I wanna be a 'caution wet fwoor sign."

Thomas: [with a giggle and a curious expression] "A caution wet floor sign? Really?"

Christopher: [laughing] "Yeah, Daddy, I wanna be a caution wet fwoor sign."

Colleen: [laughing with Thomas] "Okay, we'll try."

For days, we verbally checked in with Christopher, "Christopher what do you want to be for Halloween?" His response every time was "A caution wet fwoor sign!" usually accompanied with a belly laugh (the kid still has that infectious laugh that comes forcefully and joyfully from his belly).  He never swayed, so we had to make it happen.  After some work, some trial runs, and some experiments, we were able to find a workable prototype for him to try on last Friday.  It worked, but could have been better, so we made the appropriate changes and we have now, after some painstaking and time-extensive labor, finally arrived at the final model...one that will have to work.

So, the question was then, what to do with Matthew.  As he could not verbally inform us of his wants and desires as far as a Halloween costume, we had to find something on our own.  We thought it might be a good idea to try to incorporate his costume with Christopher's and try to make him some variation of a mop and bucket.  Again, we hit the grindstone and worked on some "prototypes".  We came up with what we thought would be a great final product, but it fell drastically short, as he was unable to physically sit up in the contraption that we had constructed for him.  Back to the workshop we went, and finally came to a model that is not only workable and implementable, but also weather appropriate.  He was begrudgingly compliant.

So we arrive at our final models for the Halloween 2011 costumes for Christopher and Matthew Kane....

 May the Kane family proudly present:
The Caution Wet Floor Sign and the Mop and Bucket.
(The costumes were pretty much spent by the time I was able to get the pictures, sorry.)


 



Here are some other pictures from Halloween Trick-or-Treating











5 comments:

  1. Ohmigosh! I LOVE it!!! That's fantastic, T!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Emily....best part...both costumes cost about about $10! Gotta love that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot even tell you how much I love these costumes. Well, I kinda did on Facebook, but I'm doing it again here because these are some super-creative and awesome costumes. I love it that Christopher came up with this idea, and I love that you guys worked so hard to indulge him. And of course the addition of Matthew as the mop sidekick is brilliant. So. Fantastic. One question, though. What is with that kid on the bottom right who appears to be emerging from some kind of pod? :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's Max, Colleen's cousin Kim's kid. He didn't want anything to do with his T-Rex costume...and he hates having his picture taken, so there you go. It does sort of look like he's coming out of some sort of pod, doesn't it? I'd like to imagine that it's an cocoon...or a space egg...with a vicious, human-devouring monster who loves bone marrow or something like that. I think we can make that work, right?

    And thanks for the compliments. I wish we could have made more of it than we did. I thought of implementing a yellow raincoat as well, but I don't think Christopher would have been very cooperative with that. I also had a hard time getting a good, solid stitch between the mop-head and the hat. It actually started falling apart towards the end of the night.

    We loved that he wanted to be something different. You have to appreciate that the boy has that kind of gumption. Her certainly is quite a charachter. It was a lot of fun to do..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, "character"...didn't catch the spell checker before I sent it out.

    ReplyDelete